Saturday, September 11, 2010

Only Love Matters . . .

I don't think anyone will forget where they were 9 years ago today. I am a NY'er and live less than an hour from the city. That morning I was laying on the couch in pain recovering from cancer surgery feeling sorry for myself when I got a call from my Dad. He told me to turn on the television. As I watched the horror unfold tears began streaming down my face. My heart instantly went out to those who lost their lives while at the same time I felt stupid for feeling such self pity. I realized in that moment how grateful I was for my own life. It was a lesson I should have learned years prior when my first husband was killed. It is something I work in within myself each day.

I remember feeling scared as we frantically waited to hear from my brother who was working in the city at the time only 40 blocks away. Then I remember the relief I felt knowing he was ok. Loved ones were all that mattered.

It is always so easy to get caught up in the small stuff. It is easy to loose our way and forget that all that matters is this moment. On days like today I am reminded of how precious life is.

My grandma always said . . . "There but for the grace of God go I . . . John Bradford". And it is so true. None of us knows how much time we have. All that we can do is live each moment to the fullest and most importantly LOVE . . .

I took this picture last year as my husband and I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge. The word love spoke to me that day as I glanced across the bridge and looked at the skyline noticing what was missing. Today is a reminder for me that all that matters in this life is love . . .

8 comments:

  1. How completely true Cathy. Moments like that bring the whole of life into perspective~~and if only more people could learn to embrace love. It would be wonderful, wouldn't it?

    XXOO~~♥
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious Cathy, you have endured alot in your short life but your big heart shows through all your words......

    Hugs and blessings sweet girl....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathy,
    That was really such a beautiful post. Love...Love...Love...that IS what matters & you put it all together beautifully!
    xoxoxo Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all shall remember this always Cathy. Amen to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful post, cathy......thank you so much for sharing these precious lessons and reminders with us. love is truly all that matters! :))))

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful post dear. i remember too what i was doing at the exact moment it happened. we have to LIVE our lives, in honor of those who can't. we can't be selfish with our self pity, can we? every year it's a great reminder to be happy and live each day to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Cathy, what a beautiful post about a day filled with such emotion!

    I've been catching up on your blog posts and you have been a busy woman!! Your paintings and sketches are wonderful!! Truly! And it looks like you are having fun with it all...

    I've sure missed you! Love, Silke

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cathy,
    I am a little behind on posts... and just found this one... So touching. I still can't imagine how a whole city puts back the pieces after such a tragedy. Thanks for sharing!!! xoxo - Kim

    ReplyDelete