Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Lets Fly Away . . . New Painting

Lets Fly Away
8x10 mixed media on canvas board

She started out as a sketch I did over the weekend. I was excited to paint her. My background was a little blah at first but at the end I used my distress ink (which I love) and smudged some all around with a cotton pad. Then she felt complete. I changed the color of the baloons 3 times before I settled on the pink. I used black colored pencil on the balloons and dress to give some depth and outline. The only thing I was sure of was the color of her dress. And then somehow all the rest came together. This time I didn't struggle as much with her hair. I am pleased with how it came out. The original sketch had barettes on both sides but I am on the fence about adding them. What do you think?

I find that I sometimes struggle with colors. Funny though that I originally thought I would make then pink and then tried 2 other colors I didn't like. I guess I better just let go and listen to the muse!

10 comments:

  1. She's a super beauty..love her..dazzling dreamy pinks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she's perfect, and love your use of colour again! The blue eyes really stand out against the other colours. Gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love her! Her expression is so sweet and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bows would make her look more child-like. Is that what you're after?!...She looks a lot like YOU now!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your painting fits with how I'm feeling these days :) Great job Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are getting so much accomplished...look at you go.
    another great little lady.
    c

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Cathy--you are already coming into your own!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cathy, she's so sweet and I love her big round face....You chose just the right colors so don't hesitate to follow your insticts in the future......

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think she is great. What will be her name? I think you are really getting into your groove. You do what I do and visit a lot of art blogs and become inspired and just have to get at it. Great job. Have a great rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Cathy, she is beautiful! I love her eyes. I like her hair the way it is, but it's your painting and you can do what you want. I'm just amazed at each and every one of your paintings, you are growing so fast into your own look!

    loves to you!

    ReplyDelete