Friday, March 2, 2012

New Portrait And Another New Class !


I laughed writing the title to this post! My online class addiction continues! I have lost count at this point of just how many classes I am taking and sometimes I forget. lol I hop around from one to the other taking little bits and pieces from each artist. Somehow that just works for me. And I get tired of slapping myself on the wrist for it.

So, having said all that I was excited to share this new portrait sketch with you. Truly if you asked me to pick one medium that I enjoy the most I would have to say sketching. And sketching faces is my favorite! I recently signed up for my first class with Pam Carriker. I have her book "Art at the Speed of Life" and love it! I refer to it often. Go out and get it! You will not be disappointed! When I found out about her "Pursuing Portraits" online class I just couldn't resist. And it is super affordable too.

I sketched out this portrait using techniques I am learning from Pam. I used watersoluble graphite so I could make her into a watercolor piece (not part of Pam's class) I also used my black sharpie marker to bring out the details which is always fun! This girl is so different than my other faces. And I like that about her. She looks very serious as if there is alot on her mind.
I wonder what she is thinking.
I am sharing this girl today at Paint Party Friday.

20 comments:

  1. She is beautiful. I think she is thinking: I wonder if I have enough time in the day to add one more online art class to my schedule. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. she looks very contemplative, she's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read about your book and have ordered it from Amazon. I plan to put in in our church library after I've finished reading it. Looks like something we all can relate to. My mother and first cousin didn't make it but my sister is going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a course addiction too and am trying to resist clicking on the link to this class, lol! She is lovely, it almost looks like her eyes are welling up to me. Off to click the link ;) Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very pretty! I've been considering Pam's class - not sure I have the time though. But looks like loads of fun - I love her work!

    Blessings,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely face and laughed about the online addiction... can't see anything wrong with that myself... sounds like a perfectly wonderful addiction to have...xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely face with lively eyes! Just wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's great Cathy!!!!!
    And you want to know something funny?? I'm taking the same class :-D
    I love it too!
    I'm seriously thinking of taking her class in the Artful Gathering classes starting in June--the price is a bit steep--but I think this one could be worth it--she's really a very good teacher--she gets down to all of the tiny details.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love her... love that she is just in grey, and the simplicity of her hair = beautiful.
    Yes, the on-line class addiction is totally understandable. :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicely done! Very beautiful face.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is gorgeous! Something about the eyes....I keep staring at her. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. No reason to slap yourself in the wrist, so many amazing class have come out its hard not to sign up for all of them! I sign up for many, but I make sure I can download the material, then I don't feel ba if I can't get to the lesson since I know I can always go back to them 20 yrs later if needed.

    Beautiful portrait, can't wait to see what you do as a watercolor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely Cathy! Fabulous shading and eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cathy! Your girl is off to a great start!!! Thanks for sharing!
    Renee
    PPF
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty and expressive! Lovely eyes! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. As long as these classes are keeping you fired up creatively, I say keep signing up. This is a great portrait, water soluble graphite is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super beautiful girl Cathy and I see just how much you are learning in your classes. Maybe I should think of joining one someday, if not buy her book : )

    Adore her gorgeous beautiful eyes and fine details...nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the details on the portrait. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete