Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A Moment In Time . . .


9/9/02

Our lives are filled with moments. Some good, some bad,
some that change our lives forever.

10 years ago today was one of those moments for me. A great moment that changed my life for the better. This picture of Lou and I was taken all those years ago about 5 months into our relationship. We met online and today is the anniversary of our very first date.

I remember feeling so nervous. I was bald from chemo, very self conscious just hoping this guy I was about to meet would not run screaming when he saw me. I put my wig on that night and a little bit of makeup. Some eyeliner, lipstick, and mascara on the 2 lashes I had left. I looked in the mirror and didn't recognize myself although I hoped this new man I was to meet would see past all of that.

It was a simple date. We met at a local diner for coffee which turned into hours of chatter, sharing, and getting to know each other. He was a complete gentleman, one who held doors open for me. At the end of the night he walked me back to my car and held out his hand. It was in that moment that I figured he didn't like me. I was not used to a guy being so polite. As he shook my hand and we said our goodbye's I hoped to see him again. And that I did. We began our relationship as I was recovering my chemo, while my hair was growing back, and as he was surviving the loss of his mother.

Everyone thought we jumped in too fast. At that point each of us had gone through experiences that showed us how short life can be. We didn't want to waste a moment. One month after that photo was taken he proposed. And we married 8 months later.

These are the moments I love to reflect upon especially when life gets to be overwhelming, when maybe stress gets the best of us and we just need to remember where it all began . . .

6 comments:

  1. Best wishes to you on that day and may you both have a continuing glouious life together. You are right, life is just too short. Live in the moment, do what you want to do and above all, be happy. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice of you to share your moment with us. :-) May you have many many more of them in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, congratulations to you and your wonderful husband!! Thank you for such a lovely post.
    I wish you all the best and many more anniversaries to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet moment, loved reading this, thank you for sharing!

    ps....I was thinking I was the only one that met my hubby online. So glad Im not the only one, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats such a beautiful story.Much happiness to the both of you for the future and always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful story!!! He sounds like a lovely man!!! Thank you for sharing this beautiful moment in your life :0) oxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete