Thursday, March 17, 2011

WIP Update . . . Urban Landscape

I thought I would post an updated photo on the progress of my urban landscape painting. You can see the first stage of this painting and the inspiration photo HERE.

I am surprised that I made it this far. I am continuing to use only payne's gray white. I made some tweeks to it in order to continue with the perspective. I added some yellow on the buildings to mimic windows and widened the road in the foreground. I almost attempted a car on the road but erased it! Not sure yet how I will be able to do that.

I actually like the unfinished look to it. Sometimes when I do landscape I am way too rigid, trying to achieve an exact replica of the photo I use for inspiration. This time I am trying to let loose a bit and go for my own impression of it.

Would love to hear your input and or suggestions!

9 comments:

  1. I'm liking the looseness of it too... can't wait to see more!

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps it doesn't need a car...maybe just some lines on the road to indicate direction...but then I like it loose - it's flowing and your eye follows where it's meant to go...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathy. I like the way it's looking. Why don't you cut out a car out of a book and draw the outline and then just paint it or just glue the car on and paint it? Just an idea. Looking good. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like where you're going! I'm not going to try to give you suggestions on what you do so well. You stay in your lane and I'll stay in mine. :-)) If you want to know how to crochet a blanket with the scene on it...then we'll talk! ^_^ You're doing great without me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy I think it's looking really good! I love the depth you've created!

    Much Love,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seriously looks like you could drive down that road! And you have inspired me to do a paynes grey and white only painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW cathy!! it looks so real & yet like another landscape land...love it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the looseness of it too--it gives more of a feeling which I really like in a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the starkness, which is intensified by using just gray. Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete