Sunday, March 6, 2011

Altered Angel . . . Using Photos of My Art

"Altered Angel"
mixed media on 6x8 inch canvas board

Its rainy here today so I have been in my studio sanding photos and painting. Some of you may remember seeing this photo in its original state. . . .as thepainting "Angel in the Shadows" Click Here to see the original painting. I had been thinking about using it for one of my altered black and white pieces. I digitally altered the image to black and white, cut it out, and began scratching it up with sandpaper. I used distress ink on the edges. Then I grabbed my water soluble black crayon to do some shading and outlining of the angel image.

I glued the photo to the gessoed board and cut up another piece of the image to add at the top. I used white gesso on a palette knife to scrape onto the background. I have a new white gel pen that I added the details with around the edges.

I have a photo of another one of my glazed paintings that is waiting in the wings to be cut up and altered! I think that will be next!

9 comments:

  1. i love all the texture in this painting. i love your simple color choices, it's so you!
    glad to hear you are also enjoying studio time. it was snowing again here today!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful my friend...your art is growing deeper with each and every piece! I am proud to own an original Artsy Butterfly! It is a constant source of inspiration to me. Studio time is wonderful isn't it? I wish you blessings and lots and lots of creativity!
    xo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Cathy!! You did an awesome job with this piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Cathy, the touches of brown really look great with the blacks and grays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you re-use your photos. I've been meaning to try this out but never got around to print the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so fun to make new art with your old art--I like doing this alot! YOu have a whole new piece of art here, and then you can copy this and make another whole new piece of art--the possibilites are endless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful work. Love the feel of this piece xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous and deeply stirring Cathy! Wonderful expressive!
    Victoria~

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh these dark pieces are stunning too Cathy!!! love them....

    ReplyDelete