Monday, February 17, 2014

Sunday Sauce


Or as my Grandma used to call it "gravy".  That is often a debate among italians.  My husband's family referred to it as "sauce"  Every Sunday without fail she would be up early starting the gravy that would cook for hours.  Dinner was always at 2pm another italian tradition that I am sure she grew up with.  As the years go on I notice that I miss those little things.  

So we decided a few weeks ago to start our own tradition.  We are bringing back Sunday gravy.  Lou does most of the cooking.  Its a combination of his mom's meatball recipe and my grandma's gravy recipe.  Today I want to share that with you.  Its on the sweeter side but we always enjoyed it that way.

Ingredients

1 tbs olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 28 oz can tomato puree + 1 can of water
1 6oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup fresh chopped basil
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp sugar

Heat oil, add onions, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper.  Sautee the onions and garlic till fragrant and they begin to brown.  Add can of tomato puree, can of water, and paste stirring together.  Then add the basil and the rest of the spices.  Simmer for about 3 hours.  The longer the better!  

Oh and we also watch Goodfellas while the gravy is cooking!  That is one of my fav movies and definitely my favorite mob movie ever!  

Hope you try this recipe and enjoy!  Let me know what you think!  

Would love to hear about any family traditions you have!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment